We finally got our greenhouse aquaponics system cycling and running without any issues so far. The fill times are around 20min and the drain is a little quicker, taking about 5min+ The floating raft or deep water culture (DWC) still needs the holes drilled and the baskets placed but we’ll do that as soon as I get around to it.
Lose video transcription:
You can see the peas coming in here. There’s one here, one here. Here some coming in here. Spring is here.
Okay guys I wanted to give you an update on what we’ve been working on around here. So as you can probably see or hear, the aquaponics system is cycling. It was a lot of work, we finally got it finished, finally got everything set. So far the system is working out well and running correctly. We still have a couple of tweaks to make but nothing too serious. So I’m going to break down this aquaponics systems we’ll go from there.
Okay my battery is going dead so I’m going to make this quick. As you can see, here are the two IBC totes. You can see the water level and we have sealed the top with canvas to keep the pollen from getting inside and contaminate my water. Here we got a fill line with a check valve to keep the pump from losing its prime. When the level of the sump tank gets too high, the pump sends the water through this line and back through a return using a bulkhead adapter. On this side we have the recirculating valve or “recirc valve”. We also have a pump feeding the system and delivers water to all of the spouts inside the greenhouse.
Okay these are the backside of the tanks, as you can see we have the two tanks connected through this 2 inch line with a drain. This allows us to empty the tanks and replace water quickly.
So the water enters the greenhouse aquaponics system; as you can see the valve to the right of the in flow t connector, is almost closed to keep the water moving in general direction. It then reaches the two down spouts to fill the 8 foot long back grow bed. The water then continues to the downspout of the floating raft system (deep water culture), but I’ll talk about that in a minute. And finally ending its flow at the single downspout and strawberry towers to fill the ten foot back grow bed. Some of the strawberry towers rate of flow is faster than other in the system and that’s just a lack of water control at the top but ultimately not that big of a deal.
Okay these are the external bell siphons, as you can see the bell siphon enclosure is a little long, but you can see the workings of the external bell siphon. The two pvc male pieces coming out of the sides are connected to the two installed drains on either side of the grow bed. Then a master line connected to the stand pipe inside the bell siphon, then runs to the sump tank where it’s sent back to the fish tank. Each of the bell siphons are identical and we have two running to drain each bed. These are the caps to cover the clean outs on the strawberry towers. This is a four inch bell siphon with a six inch bell siphon enclosure. We’re using a one in a quarter inch stand pipe connected to a one inch drain. We use the wider standpipe to help get the siphon effect get started.
As you can see this is our floating raft or deep water culture grow bed. We have the Styrofoam down in the water float on the surface. We haven’t drilled any of the holes yet but I’ll get to it. As you can see we have the baskets layered out in a staggered pattern to maximize grow space when we’re growing lettuce. We got about twenty baskets right now but we’ll end up needing a total of sixty three to fill the floating raft with grow space. As you can see here the water in the bed is constantly cycled keep a constant height using a stand pipe to mark the level of the water inside the grow bed or pond. This is the bio filter that I mentioned in my last video. As you can see we have the matala cut to size to fit inside, creating the bio filter. Water enters from one side of the bio filter and passes through the matala, filtering the water of any solids and releasing the water to the grow bed at the other end of the bio filter. Eventually we’ll get an air-aider to place between the matala and help promote the beneficial bacteria that growing the nitrates.
As yo can see the nylon trellis netting that we have secured to the back wall of the greenhouse. We just have a few more tweaks to wrap up the strawberry towers. After that we are ready ready to get things planted in the system. We’ll add some seaweed extract or kelp extract to add some trace minerals and ammonia in the system, hopefully that will give my system a kick start and start growing some nitrates.
So I just wanted to give you an update on the system. Join our aquaponics conversations at the facebook fan page: HD Aquaponics. Visit us on the website at www.hdaquaponics.com