! Sign up list
HD Aquaponics Episodes
Episode 16. Aquaponics might be all fun and games but part of that fun is the maintenance. We had a few problems this week. Losing some fish to water issues, root growth clogging our drains going to the internal bell siphons. We also take a look at all the systems and see how they’re running.
Lose transcripts of the video:
You look inside here, that’s the artichoke plant. You can see, we have our first artichoke starting. It’s pretty neat.
Okay, so we’ve had an interesting week over here. We had some problems with out fish, and a problem with bugs and it has just been interesting. So I’m just going to do a kind of overview of all the systems and just kind of a general update.
So these are the tumbling tom dwarf tomato plants that we’re going to be putting into the strawberry towers, there’s one more back there. Aside from that, everything else is growing; we had to take a bunch of things out because of root problems but we took care of that. These tomatoes are not producing anything right now and I’m not totally sure why but I’m going to let them sit and see what happens.
Our problems with these external bell siphons began when we only put one drain in the center of this system; which is alright now that we have this union installed. When we get root growth down our drains and in our pipe, we can separate these two now through this union and clear out this root growth. This system does require some maintenance but that’s okay.
So as you can see we got this little tub of 25 red worms, we got one tub for each bed, four tubs in all. I’m going to add these little guys to the bed to help clean up all the dead root growth and all the things the worms can eat.
Okay so we did a little maintenance kn the indoor system, as you can see I’ve taken a lot of plant out. These are the tomato plants I didn’t take out of the system because I wanted to see if I could get them to grow but they got to tall so what I think I’m going to do just cannibalize them and make a couple of clones and them getting into the outdoor system. The fish tank is all put back together, you can see the water is a lot clearer now. I went ahead and ran a water test and as you can see we have our first reading of nitrates in any of my systems. Nitrates look to be at about 5ppm.
Okay, so this is the harbor freight 10′ x 12′ greenhouse, cycling and running. We have the tumbling tom tomato plants for the strawberry towers starting indoors. As you can see we got bell peppers, some habaneros, some tomato, some green bean, cucumbers or zucchini, probably both. So that’s what we have growing in the greenhouse. I still haven’t got the float raft bed ready yet. That’s just due to my own laziness and I need to get busy. This tube on the bell siphon didn’t bend the way I wanted so I have to go back and fix the tube. It still works but I’m just nit-picky about it. So the system is working and I’m just watching it grow.
You can see the water level is kind of low, what I’ve done to the system, I haven’t added any fish yet, instead what I have done is add 550ml of seaweed or kelp extract into the system, it has turned the water brown but I hope it help add minerals to the system and help grow the nitrates.
So we added one more goldfish to the barrel aquaponics system. He was swimming around with the tilapia in the inside system so we moved him outside and he seems to be doing alright. Everything in the barrel aquaponics system the broclii is coming up too fast, its just too warm to sunny for them. I’m just using them plants to help clean the water for the fish. We got a lot of tomatoes growing, here and here. You can see the pea plant is growing crazy in the outdoor aquaponics system. There are a ton of peas all over. We eat a couple of peas a day and they’re pretty good.
So this is my tomato bed, as you can see we got some new growing and a few tomatoes are growing. Over here I’m just letting this cabbage go to seed. Over here we got a few more things coming up. Here is the garlic, the Bell Peppers aren’t doing too hot. I can’t tell the difference between what’s coming up and the weeds. Here you can see the carrots coming up. They are doing pretty good. Only two stocks of corn came up, but that;s alright. The squash has come up and it looks like we got six of the eight that are coming up so that’s pretty good. As you can see the corn in the aquaponics system isn’t doing as good but that’s okay. I’ll let them go until they’re done.
I just wanted to give you guys a brief overview of what’s been going on. I’ll be updating you more on the progress on the harbor freight greenhouse aquaponics system. Check out our facebook fan page at HD Aquaponics. You can visit the website at www.hdaquaponics.com